Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Stress Seeping Through

Well it's been a few since I posted last. My RL, though not extremely busy is still taking me away from my Second Life. Perhaps the most important thing for me at the moment is to find a job. I am sure many of you can relate, especially in this economy.

It is not just the money that I need, unfortunately a good job is also what I need to root me to this country. Again I am on a time crunch and I will probably need a job before the holidays. Therefore each passing day I feel the weight of finding one. Course this article is not going to feature me bitching about my RL. We all have problems we have to deal with and many stresses, which is why I believed I made a mistake the other day and let my real life stress affect negatively on my SL experience.

I constantly tell my friends and family on SL that unlike real life, we have many choices. In real life, whether it be a work environment, family or even friends..it is not so easy to block the negativity that hits us daily. Second Life allows us to cut that out with a click of a button. Someone harassing you? Mute them. Someone coming onto your property? Ban them. These wonderful features cut the stress and allow us to enjoy our Second Lives. That's why I always encourage my loved ones to let go of those who are poison, because SL is meant to be enjoyed..and maybe even an escape from our daily RL stress.


Of course we are all human. Sometimes we can't help it. For example yesterday I had such an awful day. What I thought would be a day long interview for a good company, I found out it was another pyramid scam. You know, the type of job where you go business to business selling shit? Sure, they have a base salary..only if you open 8 new accounts a week, otherwise its commission. There were no benefits, no payment for the mileage of traveling etc. To say the least it was very disappointing and long day. I probably should have gone home and laid down for a while, listened to music and give myself time to calm down before logging in. I did the exact opposite, I walked straight into my room, took off my jacket and without changing out of my uncomfortable suit, I logged onto SL.


 Focused on my own bad day, I could not absorb the surroundings or other people's feelings. I tped into my club and was immediately surrounded by people and IMs. To say the least I was feeling overwhelmed, but I wanted to be there nonetheless. Still, the stress I felt that day gave me absolute zero patience, which resulted in an even worse day when I got into a fight. I will not go into it as it is my own personal business, but I did learn one thing important.. the need to drop my stress from whatever the day I had before logging on. In the end, none of us want to take out our frustrations on everyone else around us, especially to loved ones. Sadly though alot of people are on SL for that very reason. I do not find it excusable.

I hear people say: "Cut him/her a break, you have no idea what is going on in their RL right now."

And sure, maybe they are going through something and it causes them to act out, but it's no excuse to treat others poorly around you daily because of a chip on your shoulder. We are all on SL to unwind and experience things in a stress-free way. If we always selfishly harbor our bad realities and take them out on strangers, it overall makes for a bad internet environment. So I will encourage myself and others to stop and take a deep breath before logging on. If RL is kicking you in the nuts or ovaries, the last thing you want to do is turn it on the people who do care about you. I find that listening to music or watching TV..or even having a cigarette and petting my dogs helps.

Even I can learn things too now and then.

Until next time,

Yu

No comments:

Post a Comment